View Single Post
Old 11-21-19, 07:16 AM
Thomas15
I think I know nothing.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 290 Times in 204 Posts
As others have said I'm not retelling my story to one-up anyone.

My big trauma experience wasn't a bike crash but I did suffer a left leg tib/fib fracture at age 52. I have plates, screws and pins. I didn't have any other boo-boos, I repeating this to give an idea of what my recovery was like at that age, keeping in mind that I was in good physical shape with a body height of 5'6" and weight of 145 pounds.

I was on crutches for 10 weeks and used a cane for another 6 weeks. PT for 5 months. I worked very hard to get my mojo back. Right about the time I finished PT, I started walking as my main form of exercise. As a result of all this I have given up skiing and running.

When I started reading this thread this was my thoughts exactly...

Originally Posted by canklecat
That's a rough accident. Glad it wasn't any worse.

To be honest, you should expect a year to recover. I'll be 62 this week. In May 2018 I was hit by a car. Second time. First was 2001, which broke my back and neck in six places. That took a full decade to recover. I was walking with a cane until 2014. I resumed cycling in 2015 after working up to it gradually with long walks.

My injury last year after being hit by a car took more than a year to recover, and I'll always have a permanent shoulder and neck injury......
When I look back it it, 9 years ago, the thing that was the hardest for me was recovering from the lower GI slowdown that comes from pain meds. The lower unit totally shut down for many days and once it re-fired, I couldn't sit for a week. Just saying.