Old 10-29-19, 12:06 PM
Rob_E

Bikes: Downtube 8H, Surly Troll

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by staehpj1
Makes me think of the joke about the old axe that has had 8 new handles and 2 new heads and was still good as new.
I think that sums up my bike. Just celebrated 4 years on my Troll. Built it up with parts on hand, slowly replaced pretty much every single component. Then this spring I broke the frame and had to replace that.

That water bottle cage might have around 30,000 miles on it. Everything else, considerably less.

There's no mile marker I look to for replacing stuff, but the longer I ride, the better idea I have of what I want to ride. And even if I started out with the right thing, needs change. My Long Haul Trucker went about 6 years, and probably close to 20K miles. It was only retired because I thought the Troll would suit me better. Even so, I planned to get the LHT running again, but it never happened. I've ridden close to 15K on the Troll, but on my current frame, probably under 4,000. On those rims, I can't even guess because I regularly swap between two wheelsets. Stuff gets replaced because it breaks or because it's outlived it's usefulness, not because it reaches a certain mileage. If it ain't broke...