View Single Post
Old 07-13-09, 10:04 AM
djcycles

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Within the past two years, I have gotten reaquainted with my bikes and have increased my time in the saddle. Before I would mainly ride my mountain bike along the trails here in Colorado Springs. About a year and half ago I bought a new Trek Madone to ride the streets and do long distance riding. I have now shifted primarily to that bike and within the last couple months, have stayed off my mtn bike.

As I am off during the week, I find myself riding during the majority of my distance during that time. I also plan my rides so that I face the least amount of traffic as most people are at work. I also plan my routes on roads that are wide and provide either a bike path, or a decent shoulder. I don't use a mirror to look back but I do pay close attention to the noises around me. I have gained a keen sense of my surroundings throughout the years and know when a vehicle is coming up behind me. On my rides, as I said, I normally ride in bike lanes or on the shoulder. When none of those exist, I ride within a couple feet of the white line and stay there.

So far, the majority by far of vehicles passing me give a wide berth. There has been some whom I felt were too close. When approaching intersections, I will always stop at red lights/stop signs. It's primarily for safety sakes, but also to give respect to everyone out on the road. This I hope will translate to providing respect to the next cyclist they encounter. I also make it a point to make eye contact with the drivers and I watch their front wheels to check any movement.

To make myself more visible, I wear bright clothing such as a neon green or yellow jersey. A helmet is always mandantory and I will not ride with anyone who will not ride with one. I have had friends in the past not ride with helmets and have crashed only to be saved from serious brain injury from a large backpack which prevented her skull from impacting the ground.

I have learned to project my voice to ensure drivers who may not have noticed me and are moving into my lane hear me. I also slow down when entering an area such as parked cars, intersections, stop lights/yield signs to ensure I have enough reaction time. Even though I may have the right of way, the laws of gross tonnage wins out. Its better to be safe than right.

I have not ridden in any large groups as of yet, but do plan on group riding with the lbs when my schedule allows.