View Single Post
Old 01-31-12, 11:47 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3459 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
Originally Posted by electrizer
... ... PS: I've just found a good deal on A719, possibly I can reuse my XT hub after some cleaning but what spokes would you recommend?
Take off the rim tape. Loosen all spoke nipples a turn or two. Then tape the new rim to the old rim so that the valve hole is in the same place and the labels read the same (not one being upside down when you look at them). Then start transferring spokes from the old rim to the new, one at a time. You will figure out rapidly which spokes to move first and which to transfer last.

I think I have three times as many miles on my A719 rims with minimal wear. I would look at them harder to figure out if you really need a new rim. Since you put very little wear on the front rim, keep the old rear rim for possible use on the front later if you do buy a new rim.

When my brake pads look bad like aluminum oxide instead of rubber or when they sound rough, I lightly sand the brake pads to get to fresher rubber. Brake pads are a lot cheaper than good rims.

Last edited by Tourist in MSN; 01-31-12 at 11:53 AM.