Old 09-02-14, 04:36 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by TurtleRacer
I wouldn't advise a novice to do a custom build, but I would say reliability is more important than frame weight/stiffness (missing shifts and having mechanicals is no fun and could turn a novice off of the sport).

Funny you mention the Hoy as I was considering it (ok frame/good components?) as well as the Planet-X Pro Carbon Track (nice frame/questionable components?): Pro Carbon Track Bike

Thanks for the tip on race wheels!
The Hoy is a good frame. The aluminum is the same 6061 that my custom Tiemeyer is made of.

An aero frame is kinda low on the cost/benefit scale and buying one is more of a fine-tuning thing. Also, carbon doesn't get you as much as you think it might. I have an anecdotal story where I had a Tiemeyer (6061 aluminum) and a Felt TK1 (carbon) at the same time. The Tiemeyer was slightly stiffer and 3lbs lighter than the TK1. My Tiemyer is *definitely* stiffer than the Dolan DF3 I had. So, it's really up to the build whether carbon will be better than aluminum.

Your drivetrain is one area where I'd buy quality known brands:
- Cranks: Dura Ace, SRAM Omnium, Sugino 75, or Campagnolo with the appropriate bottom bracket
- Chainrings: FSA Pro, Sugina 75 or Zen, Campagnolo, Dura Ace, Blackspire
- Cogs: Dura Ace, Euro Asia Imports, Campagnolo,
- Chain: KMC K710, D.I.D., Izumi ECO or V
- Pedals: Shimano, LOOK, Speedplay Zero

Those things will create a solid build that will last for years. I just gave away some FSA Pro chainrings that I'd been using since 2009 to a new racer. I only gave them away because I splurged on a complete set of Sugino Zen rings.