canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by 01 CAt Man Do
...As for the bright flashing modes being too bright ( for group rides ), yep I used to think the same thing. About a week ago while at work ( driving on the road ) I came up on a group of cyclists ( at night ) and they were all using very good rear lighting. Having never come upon a group at night before I have to say I was very impressed at how visible they were. All were using full lighting. What I found surprising was that all of them were using flash modes. To me I would of thought this annoying if riding directly behind someone else while cycling. So much for what I think apparently it wasn't bothering any of them. Then again most of the riders weren't using lamps that appeared super bright...
I've noticed many cyclists are too polite to say anything about uncomfortably bright lights used by fellow cyclists.

Fortunately the experienced safety monitor at the back of the pack on many of our group rides will mention it if someone's lights are too bright and distracting -- including mine when I first began using the Hotshot. I was actually grateful for the feedback because I wasn't sure how it appeared to someone behind me at night. I'd only tested it in the store, where it's difficult to be sure about the relative brightness on dark adapted eyes.

Two of my three bikes have dimmer blinkies, bright enough to be effective but not overpowering for group rides. And I have a Blackburn 2'Fer on the back of my helmet, which is right at the limit of being almost too bright on flashing mode, but so far nobody has complained.