Old 06-25-17, 12:50 PM
01 CAt Man Do

Bikes: Mountain bike & Hybrid tour bike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
@Metaluna the new lithium-whatever batteries can be topped up as often as you like, and in fact, it's better than letting them run down.
I agree. Deep discharges only make the battery age faster. I charge mine after every other ride since I generally only ride about an hour in the dark.

@GraceHowler; Put some new batteries in your lamp NOW. If you're using Alkaline AAA's and they've been in a Superflash about a year it's time. Doesn't matter that the lamp still comes on when you turn it on. Batteries generally recover a little if they've not been used a while but once you start riding with the lamp on the output will fade real fast. If you want to assure the highest output then you want to replace the batteries on a regular basis. If you don't ride too much maybe every couple months will do but it all depends on how long you use the lamp and how often. If I were using a Superflash I'd either use rechargeable AAA's or I'd replace the alkalines after I rode about 10 hrs. ~ ~ ~

My next to oldest rechargable ( Li-ion ) light is about 3yrs old. It is a Serfas Shield TL-60. I broke the clip on it but still used it for at least 1.5 seasons. Before the Shield I was using the first version of the Hotshot. Then I bought the Performance version of the Shield ( which cost less ) and used that since it had the clip and the Shield didn't . Since the Shield ( or Performance Axiom ) light had a slightly wider optic I preferred those over the original Hotshot. Eventually I switched back to Cygolite because the Hotshot had been upgraded to 150 lumen and was now using a wider optic. Anyway, my original Shield now seems to have a problem holding a charge. It still works but I rarely ever try to use it.

USB Rechargeable Li-ion powered rear lamps can be bought cheap if you aren't looking for the better brand names. That means if the battery goes up it's real easy to just eat it and buy another. As long as I can get three or more years out of a rechargeable I can live with it if the battery goes up. Nice to know though that Cygolite is willing to replace the whole lamp ( for a small price ) if the battery starts to go up. Anyway, the convenience of having something that is USB rechargeable ( and quick release ) makes it all worth it in the end, even if it only lasts 2-3 years.