View Single Post
Old 03-11-18, 06:41 PM
Carl J

Bikes: 2016 Trek Farley 9.6, 2016 Felt V85 (Gravel), 2017 Spherik SRU (Road), 2017 Giant ToughRoad SLR 2 (Retired), 2016 Kona Wo (Retired)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 17 Posts
I can't sneak for the SLR 1, but can say that I love the SLR 2. Like many people in here, I've upgraded the saddle (Brooks B17) and tires (Specialized Sawtooth), although, didn't have any issues with the stock tires (and use them in the winter).
Unfortunately, after a couple of winter rides, my chain and cassette rusted out, so just replaced everything with the XT 1x11.
$900 seems a bit much for last year's model though. I paid just a bit more (Canadian) for mine last summer.

Originally Posted by humansoul
Hi everyone, new member here on BF.

I am in the market for a hybrid and my search has led me to this post, which I've read from page 1 to 20. I currently own a '14 Giant Anyroad CoMax that I enjoy as my roadie/gravel bike, but I've been looking far and wide to replace my '09 Giant Rincon 26er that I've converted to a hybrid to trail my 4 yr old and also plan to now install a mini bike seat for my newborn and use it when she's a bit older.

My dilemma is similar to what others have posted, which one to buy - 2017 SLR 1 or 2. I found a LBS that has the SLR 2 for $900 CDN, while the SLR 1 I found through another bike store out of province, where I'll have to pay for it to be shipped totalling $1300 CDN + getting it installed unless I do it myself. It seems the consensus here is the SLR 2 good enough as is and minor upgrades may be worthwhile? I was even trying to see if my carbon seat post from the Anyroad bike would fit to save on weight. My means for this bike is to trail kids, go for some longer rides than my 26er in the trails and overall exercise. Is there anyone on here that bought the SLR 2 and regret it wishing they upped for the SLR 1? If so, why? I do like the groupset and better brakes on the SLR 1, but I don't think it's worth the $400 upgrade price?

Btw...thanks for all the informative posts from all the users. The forum is great and the pics of some of the TR I've seen really make me want to pull the trigger asap!