Old 10-01-18, 02:23 PM
JayNYC

Bikes: Fuji Jari 1.3

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Scoreboy
Have you looked at like Trek Domane SL 5 disk? it comes with 32mm slicks which are ok on mild gravel. Then you can get some Schwalbe G-1 35mm tires for gravel if you want to get rowdy.
Only mentioning it because I was looking for the same thing and I just got it last week, love it so far.
My criteria are 700C x 40+ and 650b x 47+. The CAADX is on my secondary list because it comes close – 700x38 and (according to WTB) it can handle a 650x47. But I don't want to go lower than those numbers. It will just result in an N+1 scenario when I want what I wanted all along a couple years later.

Originally Posted by drdave18
My first thought was: move out of Manhattan to someplace decent for bike riding. For what you must pay to live there, you could buy a house with a three car garage in a lot of great places in the West and have as many bikes as you want!
Manhattan is one of those places where (in the long run) you can live for free if time your real estate purchases right (by getting everything you spent on mortgage, etc. back in appreciation when you sell). Plus, my husband's (tenured) job is in downtown Brooklyn, so there are only so many places that are even possible. And Manhattan is actually pretty incredible for cycling. I'm close to Central Park, not far from the GW Bridge (for good road cycling and some gravel), and it's not hard to get up to Westchester County for some great trails (paved and gravel). And when I do want to get out of the City, I'm just a few blocks from a MetroNorth station. About the only thing I'm missing is miles and miles of gravel farm roads like I just rode last week in Michigan.