Old 05-24-19, 12:48 AM
pressed001
glorified 5954

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by turtledove
I have a similar project going on from a late 80s early 90s frame, I put 2.4 inch Maxxis Ardents, and with about 3-4 mm of clearance, that was really pushing it for me. As for rims, it's not really a limiting factor since they're still plentiful. I've put hundreds of miles on this thing, and ridden through gnarly terrain. I've only had to true my wheels once or twice, and it wasn't even that badly out of shape. So long as you know the limits of the bike, rim brakes and tubes are perfectly fine. Just take it easy. I run 28-30 psi front-rear on my tubes (and I ride rigid) and no flats so far since I don't try to blaze down descents.
I would say that we do pretty different types of biking. I like what you say though and it is all true. What do you mean by "tubes"? Tubular? I like Ardents and I love Maxxis. Sad to say though, Schwalbe's Thunder Burts win over Tread Lite's for my riding.

This ride last year on this bike is the reason why I built this bike and also why I want discs on this Marin Team! The last leg of that route is about 1 mile drop in elevation and was murder for my hands with the rim-brakes!