View Single Post
Old 05-26-16, 01:16 PM
kaos joe

Bikes: Trek 5200, Rivendell Atlantis, Soma DoubleCross, Bilenky Signature tandem, Cannondale RT3000 tandem, Santa Cruz TallBoy, Kona Explosif, Bridgestone MB2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked 165 Times in 90 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
Oooo....Ooooo This is part of what I call my "Levittown Ride". It's actually an old MPBC C ride, that uses Bloomingdale - New South Rd - Cedar - Miller, to get up to the LIE eastbound service road. I also use Newbridge Rd to get to Constellation. Not a bad riding area for central Nassau. The Eisenhower area is also interesting though last time I checked, the bike lane on Salisbury ends just north of the dog park. Nassau just did really weird things with the paths along Salisbury and Post Ave. I believe the concept is to finish and connect all the way around the north side of the park. It wasn't last time I rode there.
Yes, the MUP layout is odd to me. When I cut into Eisenhower, it's impossible to just go across the park, because the whole place is fenced impenetrably with no pedestrian gates or openings. Apparently they're serious about limiting access and even have that flak gun to make sure nobody parachutes in. That's why I needed to loop all the way northwest to Park & Merrick, although come to think of it I might be able to get through over by the pool complex. Something to check out. The MUPs on Lindbergh just come to a blind end within sight of the one along Merrick, with no link and dangerous traffic between the two networks. I'm going to check out that old C ride you just outed to me.

I've also paralleled this route by following the old Vanderbilt Pkwy, which is now a power line r.o.w. from Bethpage south of the King Kullen office bldg all the way to Salisbury Pk Dr. A couple of the banked turns Mr. Vanderbilt put in are still discernible. It's cool in a butt ugly kind of way and requires willingness to ride on dirt, mud, hop fences or wiggle through holes in them, etc. Guerrilla riding. At Salisbury further westward progress is blocked by a jail where the fencing is more serious.

Thanks for the Wading River info and congrats on the weight loss too.

Last edited by kaos joe; 05-26-16 at 01:58 PM.