View Single Post
Old 07-08-18, 08:48 AM
GAJett

Bikes: 1973 Raleigh Competition, 2010 Rivendell A. Homer Hilsen, 2010's Bike Friday Pocket Companion

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
I'll be doing a 7 day organized trip in around two weeks. The route is not too hilly and the days are not too long (right around 50 miles a day). Truth be told I'm not in riding shape. I've always taken road bikes on trips like this but I'm seriously thinking of taking an old school fat tire bike--my 1993 bridgestone MB 1--on this trip. I've never ridden a flat bar/fat tire bike on a long multi day trip but if you're going slow--and I will because I'm not in riding shape--there's a lot to be said for fat tires and comfortable walking shoes.

So am I just asking for headwinds if I take this bike? Will the cycling fashion police have something negative to say if I'm not clipped in and not wearing a racing jersey?

Or should I just be slow and comfortable and make it in to camp in time for a cold beer? Is there anything I should so to mod this bike to make if better for long distance riding (new grips?). The tires are fine for road riding (26 x 2.0 schwalbe marathon touring tires that weigh in at around 440 grams). In fact the entire bike weighs a righteous 25 lbs which isn't bad for an old steel mountain bike.
Consider switching tires. I changed from 650B x 38 Schwalbe marathons to the much more flexible Compass Loup Loup Pass Extra Lights and gained 1.5 to 2 mph. At 185 lbs (the engine) I typically run 40 psi front / 50 psi rear (no extra loads).

The Compass Pass tires closest to yours are the 26 x 2.3" Rat Trap Pass (445 g std; 415 g Extra Lights) and the 26 x 1.8" Naches Pass (350 g std; 300 g EL). Take a look at https://www.compasscycle.com/product...tires/26-inch/ for their 26" tires and links to why these are no slower than narrow tires and no more vulnerable to flats (controversial claims but I believe much of the research).

Oh. And the cycling fashion police? Long ago stopped caring. Go with what's comfortable fir you.

Cheers!