Old 04-03-20, 12:38 PM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
How doe one end up planting face-first into solid barrier, and blame it on the bike?
I'm not sure that there's any evidence that he went head first (i.e. perpendicularly) into the fence. He says himself that his vertebrae were "twisted" as his head went back, and face-planting straight into the fence (or any hard object) would likely result in his nose being smooshed all over his face, rather than being sheared off - it was sliced off from one side. To me it sounds like he hit the fence at quite an acute angle, with the fence on his left, and moving left-to-right along the fence, hitting the fence with his face and his nose catching between two slats. The continued motion along the fence twisted his head to the left (which is what he indicated in the video, IIRC) while ripping off his nose from the right, so that it hung on at the left nostril.
Obviously video of the incident will be the kicker, but to me this is consistent wth him riding with the fence on his left, losing control and veering into the fence at speed