View Single Post
Old 09-14-19, 09:50 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 654 Times in 498 Posts
Originally Posted by BurleyCat
Though I probably spend more time on the laptop than I'd like to acknowledge, taking part in 10 conversations on this site is taking me a while. Those who support the rule (which prevented me from posting a photo) about newbies, posts and photos are either more fully immersed in the culture and technoloy of bicycling... or maybe they think the rest of us have a lot of free time to hover over our keyboards. I'll get to 10 posts eventually. I'm now one post closer... meanwhile I'm trying to find appropriate parts for my 1950 Rudge Sports. (Sorry, no photo)
I don't agree that we oldbies aren't capable of supporting the newbies amicably without pictures. It depends on language skills, both some diligence by the newbie to ask questions that are pretty well bounded, and for the oldbies to try to understand and even to dialogue a bit to nail down what the problem is (and to convince each other what the problem is. Sometimes we oldbies in a group wander off in all directions, rather than try to help the newcomer efficiently with a problem. However, sometimes that wandering is the fun. But, we depend on the person asking the question to say, "Finally you old freaks got it!"

Meanwhile, if you have a 1950 Rudge you need parts for, that's a fertile field that should result in you being able to make lots of valid posts.
Likes For Road Fan: