Old 10-04-11, 01:14 AM
VintageRide

Bikes: 1970 Gitane TDF; 1985 Norco Magnum GT ; 2013 Rawland Stag ; 1981 Fuji 650b; Early '80's Kuwahara Cascade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 55 Posts
Drillium Dude, it is interesting that after owning it all these years I find myself wondering why I did not go after a Masi, Cinelli or De Rosa back then, but I really liked the color - it did not help that the shop had it in the window and that they were the closest to where I lived at the time. Once I took it for a ride it just felt right, it is only after looking at so many other very nice bikes in the last 2 or 3 years here and on other sites that I wonder if maybe I was missing out by not having owned one of those "grail bikes" - but then again there are many obscure and little known marques that have come to light with just as good craftsmanship that it is actually kind of nice to ride something out of the ordinary. I do find a fair number of cyclists making appreciative comments when I take it out occasionally, I just do not expect it so your comment is very much appreciated! It seems outside of the original 30 bikes sold out that shop in Calgary, Alberta back in the late '70's that the only real source would be Italy. I have often wondered what Mr. Sabatini's annual output was, as a small family business it must have been on the low end. It would also be interesting to find out where the 30 odd bikes ended up after all these years, off hand I have seen four other track bikes and one road bike on the internet. For what it is worth the "Record" model I bought was probably the base model, as there was also a "Special" that was made with Columbus SL with more intricate work on the frame and Super Record equipped. I replaced a number of components with Campagnolo shortly after purchase. I really wanted one of the "Specials" but the store owner talked me out of it - the reasoning being that the thinner SL tubing was somewhat fragile and that the SP tubing was more robust in the long term - so I took his advice. Given I am no heavy weight I doubt it would have mattered. Oh well. By the way, you have a very nice collection of bikes, some I have not seem before - which is great of course. If I had the room perhaps there would be more than the two I have, I have been tempted more often than not!

Last edited by VintageRide; 10-04-11 at 12:58 PM.