Old 04-02-21, 11:42 PM
Jsendin

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Shimano 9 speed chain connector pin installed wrong way

I replaced the chain on a mates bike. It’s a 9 speed chain for a Deore set up.

It came with one of the Shimano connecting pins. After I installed it and the pin broke in half as it’s supposed to I noticed it was not flush - about a mm sticking out. It seems loose and def not safe.

Upon closer inspection I realised that the connector pin (when still whole) has a pointed side and a flat side.

I pushed the flat side in first (wrong side) so the part of the pin that broke off was (I think) the part of the pin that was supposed to remain.

One solution : get a 9 speed quick link, but it’s Easter weekend and with Covid it’s not allowed to just pop into bike shop.

another solution I’m thinking is to remove the inserted incorrect pin. Remove another link to avoid plates that may have been damaged from insertion and removal of (wrong half of) connector pin. Try install the correct half of the connector pin.

im thinking if it ends up that the chain is now too short by one link then then reverting to the quick link solution will work

Am I the only one that thinks the connector pin design really sucks?

PS I’m not sure if I’m actually asking a question or if I am just talking through my plan of attack to feel better haha - sorry about that!