Old 06-05-19, 10:46 AM
Skankingbiker

Bikes: AllCity Nature Boy, On-one Pompino) , Fuji Roubaix road bike, Niner EMD, Voodoo Hoodoo MTB, Surly Pugsley/Krampug, Performer Midracer Custom

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
Rightly or wrongly, the 26" format is not much developed from a performance standpoint. "Lightweight" needs to be defined, I think. My Performer Highracer is a performance bike and built for speed and it has 26" disc wheels. It came with 1.4" tires but I would think nothing of using tires as small as 1" and up to 2" and I would not even get calipers out to measure the width of the rim. Nevertheless I would fully expect to have no issues. I've used all kinds of tires on my rims and have never measured a rim yet. So find yourself a 26" disc wheel within your budget. Call it good. It will be.

Edit: As you can see, decent wheels cost quite a bit of money. You need a 'front wheel' I suspect but we're still talking 3 figures for 'good' (lightweight) stuff. If I wanted a wheel I would hit up a local bike co-op and see what they had available .
3 figures is fine. Problem is most of the stuff I am seeing is 23 or 25 mm internal rim width, which is: a) heavy; and b) too wide for a narrow tire.