Old 06-13-19, 01:33 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,492 Times in 7,316 Posts
Originally Posted by Rob_E
Bring what makes you feel comfortable. Locks are heavy, but the peace of mind is good to have. On your second trip, you will likely make adjustments. I will certainly vary my lock situation depending on where I will be traveling and how often I expect to leave my bike alone, but in general I feel like no one wants all the crap you have strapped to your bike. Yeah, it would cost a lot to replace a full pannier set and some nice camping gear, but a prospective thief would have to be pretty savvy to turn your used gear into a worthwhile amount of money. I figure thing people are looking to steal from the bike racks is the bikes themselves, and no one's making a fast getaway on my bike. Which is not to say it doesn't happen, but know your area and know your options, and I don't think you'll have a problem.
+1. Especially the bold. Situational awareness.

I have spent four nights outside this year so far. Didn't lock my bike up in camp at all. Locked it during a day trip from camp to a public zoo. I know the places I camped very well. They are not the sort of places that you are likely to find bike thieves, and public access is very limited. In contract, last year during my two-week tour I locked my bike both nights staying in the municipal campground in Burlington, VT because there is relatively easy access from a bike trail. In fact, one night there I did see a suspicious looking character (e.g., potential tweeker) walking around camp. When I shone my headlamp on his for a bit he made a hasty exit from the facility. Following that stay I camped at four state parks that were nearly empty and had difficult public access. No locking. One night I spent in a restored caboose in a somewhat rough MA town. Locked the bike to a metal fence.

Like at least one person commented above, "valuables" (wallet, camera and phone) always come with me, even to the shower/bathroom. The only attempted theft from me was in WY. I stupidly left out my expensive stove near my tent, which was pitched near a road that led to a trailer park or something. Car stopped, one of the two inside got out, jumped the low, post-rail fence and headed toward my stuff. I saw what was going on from outside the laundry room. Made a bee line toward my site and the kid got back in the car, which sped off. Don't make yourself an easy mark.