View Single Post
Old 06-28-19, 08:51 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
Originally Posted by Iron Horse
Hopefully not too silly a question. My wife stands 4'8" in her stocking'd feet. She wants an older english style 3 speed to ride with me on mine. So far in my searches I have found two. A couple years ago I found a Gazelle Piet Pelle laser. 24 x 1 3/8 tires, single speed. It fits her well, but weighs a figurative ton! Needless to say, she hasn't ridden it much. I also found a 5 speed something or other (I forget the name), but upon getting it, it weighs more than the Gazelle! What I am wanting to know is, are there any others out there that don't weigh 45 pounds empty? All of her bikes have the 24 inch wheels, so I know options are limited, but it's what she would like. She has tried small framed modern bikes, but doesn't like them much. She says they're out of proportion. Ha! Anyhoo, suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!
What is her leg length? Leg extension is the issue with frame size and on my wife's ladies' frame 19" Raleigh Sports (full size with 26 x 1 3/8 wheels) the minimum measurement from top of pedal to top of seat is about 29". You might "add some shortness" by using a thinner seat or flipping the seat clamp. Karen has decided that her health problems mean she won't be riding so we'll be selling off her fleetlet and this bike is the blue one in the center.

Last edited by thumpism; 06-28-19 at 08:54 PM.