Old 08-12-19, 02:04 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by hubcyclist
I'm only going with one set of wheels but this bag would def be useful if I had another set (I guess I have 1/2 set of extra wheels, 2 rear wheels one front, but leaving the extra at home). My challenge was with the handlebar placement, I have cantilever brakes on my CX bike so it made it a bit more of a challenge to get the bars placed ideally around the fork, but I think Ive got them ok with extra bubble wrap. But in shaking the case I don't hear any shifting around, so far so good. Shipping the bike is likely a slightly better option but CX season kicks off soon and don't want to have any gap in time between my trip and racing.
Airline? Unfortunately this often boils down to respect. I *think* soft cases say "be careful". We fly tons of bikes, tons of trips (teams, TT bikes etc.). I have not seen a bad result in many trips. That said look into BikeFlights for return trips.

My kid is now active military, so he gets free to full price and it is often not published. We have to play the game. More times that not, I just pay Bike Flights rather than deal with airline personal.