Hipcycler
OCP

Bikes: The kind with two wheels

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by HigherGround
I started cycling in the early 80's, so LeMond and Andy Hampsten were my heroes when I was racing as a teenager. This program brought back a lot of memories. For anyone who has gotten in to cycling in the "Lance era", this gives a lot of great background information. LeMond really helped to revolutionize the sport and to pave the way for other Americans in Europe. When I was lucky enough to meet LeMond after he retired from racing, I was extremely impressed with his friendly, down to earth nature. Despite being a three time winner of the Tour de France and winning multiple World Championships, he was much more gregarious and approachable than some of the amateurs I raced against! Some of LeMond's recent comments have drawn the ire of Armstrong fans who write him off as nothing more than a bitter has-been. Watching this program might help to give a fuller appreciation of who LeMond is and what he has done for the sport.
Very true.
I didn't come into this sport until 2001, and had no idea about the history of the guy. Why now does it seem like when I mention his name to people many seem to think he was a good cyclist but kind of an ass with a chip on his shoulder? Seriously, that's the vibe I get from people when his name comes up and I never knew anything about him before watching this show.