View Single Post
Old 10-25-20, 07:59 PM
AU Tiger

Bikes: 2018 Fuji Jari 1.5, 2017 Kona Fire Mountain

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 36 Posts
I ride mostly pavement, but it's a rural area with a lot of horse & buggies (which really do a number on the roads). And many rides have a mile or two of gravel roads mixed in with the pavement. Plus I ride rail trails with the family, which are frequently crushed stone or hard-packed dirt. So a broad mix of surfaces.

I was happy with the Donnelly X'Plor USH 700x35 tires that came on the bike when I bought it new last year. I got just over 3,000 miles on those with no problems. Then about five months ago I switched to tubeless tires - Hutchinson Override 700x35. They were definitely more comfortable, but the rear got a puncture too big for the sealant to handle after about 1,200 miles. So I put a Specialized Pathfinder Pro 2Bliss 700x38 on the rear to replace that, and I kept the good Hutchinson on the front. It seems to have a little more grip in the gravel, and I have not noticed any detriment to the larger tire (speed, sluggishness, etc.). So when it comes time to replace the front tire I'll go with the Pathfinder Pro on it also. If you don't have tubeless-ready rims there is also a tube version of the Pathfinder, which I assume would be the same quality as the 2Bliss. Or you could just put tubes in the 2Bliss version.
Likes For AU Tiger: