Old 04-07-11, 05:51 PM
Keith99

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RonH
Drink before you're thirsty; eat before you're hungry; rest before you're tired.

Learn how to repair a flat on the road BEFORE you have one. This means you'll need the necessary tools with you on the bike.

Don't overdo the mileage. Start with a reasonable distance and build up from that.

Put lots of miles on your bike because you'll be WANTING a road bike before you know it.

Buy quality shorts and bibs. No cheap stuff. Your butt will thank you.
All good advice.

The only advice I can think of that I did not get was:

Don't do your first (and only) time trial the day after a Rugby Match (and party afterwards of course). Starting a time trial still dehydrated is not a good thing.

The advice I'll add is know yuorself, your fitness and your 'goals'. By goals I don't mean a list of things, just know sort of kind of what you want to do (and the flip side be willing to change.

When I started cycling I was an active Rugby player. 2 weeks before my first double century I had never done more than 100 miles. Between that double and my next 2 I didn't get in a century. Oh an dmy second double was the first of 2 back to back. I was told I'd die on the second day. Nope, just like a weekend Rugby tournament, except every limb was still working Sunday Morning.

That was me, doing what i did would sour many. Doing what some others did would bore me.

Ride to do what you want to do. Take suggestions from others. Use what they tell you to do what you want to do.

And reread the first 2 suggestions of the post I quoted.