View Single Post
Old 11-17-19, 02:03 PM
Kenukeanu

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Mayer
I have used and serviced about every vintage of Ergopower shifters from early 8-speed to 11-speeds.

If your Veloce shifters are Ultrashift 10-speeds (multiple downshifts), then there is no upgrade. When new, the shifting will be as good as any mechanical shifting ever made, right up to current. The internals of these shifters are as good as any Ultrashift shifters (up to Record) with only minor differences in materials. The cartridge bearings on the central shaft in Record and Chorus have no discernable positive effect on shifting - as far as I can tell. I have multiple sets of Campagnolo 10-speed Ultrashift shifters (Record, Chorus, Centaur, Daytona, Veloce) and I can feel no performance difference between them.

These shifters are rebuildable so that with the replacement of $25 worth of parts, they are essentially new. I have 8-speed Ergopower shifters that have gone through 4 rebuilds over 20 years, and perform as well as new.

I see many cyclists with shifting problems. 90% of the time it is due to kinked cables, frayed cables jamming up the system, worn-out chains, etc.

With Ultrashift, replace the G-springs and spring carrier when needed. Replace the hoods every few years. Replace the shift cables and housing yearly. Replace your chain every 2 - 3,000 miles - max.
Thank you for this awesome advice from your expertise! It is veloce with ultrashift, I love the way it feels but was wondering if there was better out there.

One thing that is kind of annoying is when if I shift from the small chainring to the big one too fast, the chain slips off the ring. Would this be because the limiters on the front derailleur aren’t properly tuned?