View Single Post
Old 11-17-19, 02:18 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,296 Times in 866 Posts
Originally Posted by Kenukeanu
Thank you for this awesome advice from your expertise! It is veloce with ultrashift, I love the way it feels but was wondering if there was better out there.

One thing that is kind of annoying is when if I shift from the small chainring to the big one too fast, the chain slips off the ring. Would this be because the limiters on the front derailleur aren’t properly tuned?
To the OP, you are probably correct about that.

But first, verify that the lower edge of the outer cage plate is just a couple of millimeters above the tips of the big chainring's teeth.
Also verify that the outer cage plate is nearly parallel to the outer chainring.
Observe whether the derailer cage is bent/damaged.
Observe whether the big chainring turns straight, i.e. no side-to-side wobble.

Now, shift to the tallest gear (big chainring and smallest rear cog), then observe what clearance exists between the outer cage plate and the chain. This clearance should be near-zero IF the chainring turns without any significant side-to-side warpage/wobble.
So there should also be no chain rubbing against the front derailer cage following an upshift to the tallest gear.
You will then want to tighten the outer-most (hi-limit) screw so that upshifting to the large ring doesn't create any excess of the chain clearance there, but still no rubbing of the chain against the outer cage plate.
Then shift up and down a few times to verify robust shifting AND chain control.

Lastly, the cable tension may need attention after re-setting the limit screw, but unlikely here if shifting seems quick and reliable.
Also lubricate the cable where it passes under the bottom bracket shell.

Last edited by dddd; 11-17-19 at 02:26 PM.