View Single Post
Old 11-19-19, 07:14 PM
Dave Mayer

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1371 Post(s)
Liked 476 Times in 278 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveSSS
I think you meant ergopower, not ultrashift. Campy no longer offers internal parts for ultrashift levers.
Nope: my original post used accurate and precise language.

Ergopower is the general term for all Campagnolo integrated brake/shift levers from about 1992 to present. Brifters, if you wish.

Ultrashift is the category of Campagnolo shifters that have multiple downshift capability. Powershift requires that you hit the downshift paddle for every gear change. Ultrashift is now limited to Chorus and above. Circa 2006, Campagnolo had 9 and 10-speed Ultrashift levers down to the Veloce level. I may even have some 9-speed Mirage levers in a box with the Ultrashift feature. The internals of the Ultrashift levers were functionally equivalent, and shifted the same - as far as I could tell, in terms of precision, accuracy and ergonomics.

The internals of Ultrashift levers changed around 2010. Previously, the indexing was accomplished with G-springs running over a notched disc; the springs had to be replaced every 10,000 miles or so, and the spring carriers often cracked. After 2009, Campagnolo accomplished the indexing using a couple of spring-loaded ball bearings that ran over a notched plate. I have serviced both types of shifters - many times. The new design is an improvement in terms of longevity, but the shifting is no better than the old design.

Bearings.. what I was referring to was the two rows of cartridge bearings around the central shaft in the older Chorus and Record Ultrashift levers. Theoretically, they had less friction and therefore easier shifting than the brass bushing in the lower-lever levers. In practice, I couldn't tell any difference.
Likes For Dave Mayer: