IBJoel
Administrator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 224 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
I have now.

I find it interesting that "Remove Me" is BikeForum's official response.

In the past the company has been touchy about things like adblockers and script blockers.

I looked at the history of "travel.ibemail.com".

I seem to have picked up several e-mails about bikes, bike coupons, bike wheels, etc. There was one from BFGoodrich which is a bit off topic. Also a Guacamole Cookbook.

At least most of them were moderately on-topic and bicycle related, whether I ignored them or not.

On the other hand, I find the off-topic pseudo-medical topics to be EXTREMELY OFFENSIVE. Reading the E-Mail, it is also a bait and switch... and mostly about diet. "By simply eliminating this harmful toxin". However, that is mostly teasers where one has to click on the links and videos to get the details which I just won't do.

Perhaps consider this....
If I copied/posted that E-Mail onto BikeForums. Appropriately in the "Pills&Ills"... what would BikeForum's response be? You'd likely get 1000 SPAM flags. The topic would likely be deleted, and I could be banned from the forum. What if I put it under Road Cycling?

Yet, this is unsolicited off-topic E-Mail sent out by Bike Forums, with an official "Bike Forums" Header.... And the response is to use our SPAM blockers, and click on "Remove Me"?

I guess I don't need to see the BikeForums "DealsLetter" and ads for a "New Wheelset" if you feel those should only be viewed if one also accepts off-topic pseudoscience.

I realize the official response is that advertising is out of your hands... BUT WHY IS THAT? Somebody is using your E-Mail lists, and adding your headers... and you would claim lack of oversight and control? Or did this garbage pass your internal review? Money trumps reason?
The community teams and sales teams are different. But ultimately, sales like these are how we keep the site free to use. The forums and email blasts have different rules and we can't enforce anything on the latter. think of it as jurisdiction. I can however bring up your concerns to them and that has worked before. For instance, a complaint about ads for firearms on a different site led to the banning of firearm ads on all sites in the department (except for one hunting-related site).

In regards to missing other emails, check the full email they come from. It may well be a different address. "@travel.ibemail.com" contains multiple addresses. It's just the domain we use for email blasts across the company, I believe.
Likes For IBJoel: