Old 08-01-20, 12:23 PM
CriticalThought

Bikes: Santana Sovereign Tandem, Five Rings Carbon, Lemond Alpe d'Huez, Miele Latina, Hercules Tourist, Mercian Super Tourist Tandem, Birdy BD-1, Duell Solo, Jack Taylor Marathon Tandem, Raleigh RSW-16, DL-1, and Superbe

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 241 Times in 61 Posts
Thanks for the info guys. Sorry @bikemig about the link. Not sure of the link-posting-critereia here.

@nlerner I think you're right about the reason for the crazy rear derailleur setup. The rear cluster has a big spread (relatively) and I think this was someones workaround. I'm actually surprised I haven't come across this before given that I'm living in/near the mountains at the moment. I actually appreciate it (not that I want to keep it this way) as I'd hate to see the original hanger cut.

So I took the Cilo out for a ride. The frame is fantastic and the colour is growing on me, especially as it's Swiss. I'm looking forward to cleaning up the frame. The crank bottom bracket feels surprisingly good. The headset not so much. The pedals are great as well. They just need dustcaps and the usual lube & adjustment.

It's pretty odd that someone recently replaced the bar tape, brake cables, and housings... and yet the pads are (feel like) the Weinmanns that came with the bike when new! Imagine going to the trouble to do the cables and all and leaving the old pads. Odd. The wheels weren't true (no surprise) but more worryingly, the cassette didn't spin in plane with the hub. Not sure what's going on there, but looks like the wheels need to be rebuilt. All of this makes me wonder if it was taken to a bike shop to be "fixed up"... and when the cost of the wheel related work came up that was nixed? That still doesn't explain why one would leave completely dried out and ineffective brake pads on there.

I swapped out the wheels with some nice ones and took her out for a ride and headset aside, I was impressed. Looking forward to cleaning her up and getting her out up in the mountains.... seems an appropriate place to fly the old Schweizerfahne.

Last edited by CriticalThought; 08-01-20 at 12:28 PM.
Likes For CriticalThought: