View Single Post
Old 01-21-15, 06:04 PM
diver858

Bikes: Ritchey Breakaway; Motobecane Gran Premio COMP (steel 20 speed road bike); Genesis 20" Folding Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by smallwheeler
i would recommend none of the above.

they are heavy, poorly constructed, mass produced bikes fitted with z-grade components. i know some people say they are a "good value for the money", but the majority of those same people report back later about all the "upgrades" they have made; i.e., derailleurs, pedals, cranksets, seatposts, saddles, cassettes, chains. after all that, they've spent 400+ on a bike platform that's worth about 50 bucks.
I strong considered a Dahon C7a for >$400, went with the Genesis as it too would require more than $200 in upgrades - seat, higher pressure tires, rear rack, larger chain ring, longer cranks. The only mechanical component I plan to upgrade immediately is the shifter, new Shimano rapid shifter was less than $10 shipped on eBay. Another major consideration is theft - a brand like Dahon is much more of a target than what appears to be just another big box entry level bicycle. Should the Genesis disappear, replacing it will be MUCH less painful. Time will tell if the bottom of the line mechanical components will serve my needs, replacements are cheap (~$20 each), readily available, I expect to ride it a fraction of the ~1500 miles per year on my primary road bike.