View Single Post
Old 12-28-19, 08:57 PM
sixer

Bikes: 1982 Mercian Vincitore, 2014 Fitwell DeGroot, 1999 Raleigh M80, 1968 Schwinn Stingray, 2002 Ibex Classic 3300, 1978 Kabuki Track

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 12 Posts
Suntour index shifting issues

I know there have been a lot of threads like this, so thanks for reading.

I decided I wanted to switch to indexed bar end shifters (from friction) because my commute can be quite hectic and having my hands off the brakes for a long time is worrisome (only got doored once this summer!).

My bike is 3x6-speed so I picked up some 6-speed suntour accushift bar end shifters. I found out my derailleur was not modern enough to run indexed (suntour mountech) and it didn't work all that great anyway (pulleys froze after 5 hours in the rain and got chewed up) so I replaced it with a suntour xc pro long cage. I had my LBS do a quick install of the rd because I needed a rear cable anyway, but it came home shifting poorly.

Granted I'm probably twice as old as the kid who installed it (and I'm not old), but after tinkering with it for an hour (tension, limit screws) I'm wondering if the freewheel is actually the issue - it's a suntour pro compe, but it seems it might be an ultra (5mm spacing). Would this matter, or do you see some other compatibility issue, or should it be working and there must be another problem (bent cage, bad rd, or something else)?

To recap: suntour 6-speed indexed barcons, suntour xc pro rd, suntour 6-speed pro compe freewheel (two prong, 13t small cog with ~5mm spacing), not shifting well, new rd cable and housing.

Thanks!