Old 05-24-16, 07:57 AM
chandltp

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro 20, Trek 7000, old Huffy MTB, and a few others

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Happy Feet
But, just from a discussion POV, does anyone really need to know where someone else is every moment of the day? How did we get to this place.
Short answer: Because we can. Same reason we do a lot of things. Things that were once considered a luxury quick become considered necessities. Like indoor plumbing, automobiles, computers, and high speed internet.

I respect my wife and she respects me and one way we show that respect is by allowing each some freedom to act independently without an electronic "check up on where you are" device. If I made my wife call me five times a day to tell me where she was on her holiday I would be labeled a controlling spouse - yet feeling obligated to wear a passive device that basically does the same thing is seen as respectful?
It depends on the circumstances. Traveling alone in a foreign country is completely different than vacationing in Miami with friends. You wouldn't be seen as controlling if you requested that she checked in periodically from the foreign country versus when she was with friends.

It seems to be no big deal because it is passive and one does not have to intentionally phone in a location constantly but the ease of implementation should not diminish the underlying premise. If anything, it should be alarming how easily one allows themselves to have their sense of autonomy be co oped in the name of safety and security.
While I see your point, IMO the fact that it is passive does make it different. From my point of view, it's unreasonable for my wife to ask me to text her every 10 minutes with my location. However, to have my phone automatically do it, then there's no inconvenience for me. Simply put, I don't see a downside to allowing her to know where I am. It's completely unnecessary, but so are a lot of things people do on a daily basis. But in the end, I don't really see a downside to my wife knowing where I am... only potential upsides should I need to be located for some reason.

As a side note, on my first 60 mile bike ride I did provide my location every 1 - 3 hours... both of us were nervous because it was such a new concept to both of us. Last summer I rode 90 miles and simply let her know when I got there. She knew my intended route if I never showed up.