robnol
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Happy Feet
OP
You say you are just making an observation but it, and the title of the thread, sounds like something someone who does not ride bikes would ask. People have pointed out reasons why to answer it anyways and you seem offended they recognize your observation as being subjective.

I use aeros and drops and just did a 100km ride yesterday up and down a valley to an alpine lake. Sustained climb up and headwinds down. Anecdotally, I passed one roadie woman, matched a tall guy on a hardtail mtb that I swear must have had an e motor because I could not gain and he seemed effortless (he peeled off early and I couldn't see) and got smoked going uphill by two roadies which was amazing. Someone is always slower or faster it seems.

Being in the drops lets you get pretty well as aero as aeros in regard to wind resistance but I find being tucked for long distance a little tiring. Aeros allow one to rest on the arms but at a penalty for neck/shoulder strain.

They are also more unstable than being in the drops and you have to pay attention as it is easy to over correct - hence a bad idea in group rides. This because your weight is further forward on the pivot point and you lose the fine motor control of your extended arms. I ride solo so no problem for me.

The biggest advantage for aeros to me is being able to take weight off my hands for a bit on long multi day rides. This allows me to spend hours in the saddle without needing to rest them.

Once you are used to them you can certainly go fast but frankly the same applies to riding in the drops. Even with my aeros I probably couldn't match a few TdF pros.
the geometry of a time trial bike is different than a standard road bike.....i found extended time in the drops for aerodynamics to be cruel and unusual punishment....shove ur balls up to ur bellybutton for one not to mention back and arm fatigue