Old 07-09-19, 01:20 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
Originally Posted by chas58
Maybe you can teach me something. Got some examples of some well built friction drives? I've done some research on them, but they always seem to disappoint - like 750w just doesn't pull like a 750 watt hub or mid drive. Maybe you know something I don't?

I guess I'm different then you, because I did what you wouldn't do, lol. I put a 2.1kg hub motor on my 19lb bike. If I found an alternative that could save me 1.1kg with similar performance, I would be interested...
You can read up on what I ended up buying, ymmv. also I'm 135lbs so even with the bike pretty light. I guess it depends on what you're looking for - I am not interested in a fulltime electric bike. I choose to ride leg powered whenever I can and power up for hills and inclines that would hurt my knee, and in nasty ocean headwinds. I've had zero problem climbing 25 degree grades with my drive at a pretty good speed. You can read up on what I have if you want (or not): https://electricbikereview.com/forum...eroller.28504/
If you have any other questions I'd be happy to try to answer. For reference, I previously owned a dedicated electric bike with a hub front motor, had it about a year, maybe a little more, when I first returned to riding after a 20 year absence.