Old 07-10-19, 09:51 AM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
Originally Posted by chas58
That is a great write-up. I appreciate it. I love hearing of experiences with a light weight build. You have a great setup there!

good to hear they have minimized that RC motor whine. The PAS sounds great. Probably the best Friction Drive example I have seen. Looks like a viable option to a small hub drive, one that works very well for your usage. Good to see bikes that are pedaled like a bike with e-assist (as opposed to converting a bike to an electric mini-bike).

I did a little research on the motor you listed. I agree, for your application, a small 200-350 watt motor can be useful for short ranges on a light bike. I always enjoy seeing light weight builds. Its my passion.

Your build looks like a 250 watt motor that saves 0.5 to 1.1 kg over a small hub motor. It works well on your setup.

I get frustrated with a company like OneMotor specs are a little opaque, and seem to me to be misleading. Maybe I missed something.
https://onemotor.co/indepth/

For instance, the <5lb package has a 130Whr battery, typically 10s1P. That is capable of continuously giving about 4 amps, which puts us at 130 watts continuous. Maybe it can do 8 amps if they are using the best chemistry available. Not exactly a 750 watt motor. It says the top speed is 20mph, which is about 150+ watts on an efficient drop bar bike or 340W on a typical mountain bike. That could be brutal on that little battery – and more practical on their larger battery.

The motor with the small battery would typically be labeled as a 250 watt set up (or whatever the continuous power is), not 750 peak power with a larger battery. With a larger battery, I would guess it as a 350 watt motor as you are not really going to want to pull more than 10 amps continuous on that battery.
Well, you'd have to email Jeff at 1M about all that amp stuff, lol, way over my head. What I can tell you from actual use, with the small 130wh battery, is that on low PAS with a cadence of 80 I've gotten 24 miles on a charge. And using the throttle I have also pushed it up to 24 mph on flats (supposedly you can go 28 but I was already scared at 24, I'm a wuss). Having had a hub motor bike before, I assumed a rate of 20wh per mile but this friction drive doesn't seem to follow those same rules. And, wonder of wonders, Jeff's range estimates were actually on the low realistic side rather than the typical overstated b.s. I've seen on many e-bikes. If you're interested in the amp stuff, email Jeff - he's an engineer and would probably love to geek out on it with you =).