View Single Post
Old 02-19-11, 05:04 AM
Stu In Tokyo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gareth
Wow! that looks great (but it does seem like an awful lot of steel to be lugging around).

Hot dip galvanize would possibly be out of the question, because you will need to drill expansion/drain holes in the box section for the process to work without the heat warping the frame. But hot sprayed galvanizing would work: and you'll have a few different colours to choose from. Spray it with a good clear Polyurethane varnish when it's done and the finish will look great for years (Galvanizing does dull over time as the surface Oxidises).
Thanks Gareth!

Yeah, the hot dip would be nice but I agree I'll have to get it sprayed, maybe. I'm looking now, but we are not having much success finding anything, I think I'll just paint it and not worry about it too much.

I know it is a lot of steel to lug around, but I just cannot stress how heavy a load I will be carrying every single day. The new customer that prompted this new bike will require a minimum of one 20L keg of beer and one large case of beer bottles, those two items alone will be 120lbs, and with all the other items, I expect to be hauling nearly 200lbs each day. I do not want constant failures in my trailer or hitch. My biggest fear is that the rear triangle of the bike will fail, but I hope not