Old 05-29-19, 01:06 PM
salcedo

Bikes: Specialized Allez, Trek CrossRip

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Lights for urban trike

My wife and I are about to buy a Nihola cargo trike (Nihola Family). I need some advice to choose lights for it. Things to consider
  • I want to mount one rear and one front light on each front wheel. Maybe also a fifth rear light on the seat post
  • I don't want to spend more than 200$ (I would be happier spending a lot less)
  • We will ride slowly and mostly on well-lit roads or residential areas. I don’t need the lights to be super bright, I just want to be seen. But we will have our son on board and share the road with cars so it is very important to be seen. I’m also planning on using 3M reflective tape
  • The bike is mostly for short rides (5 to 15km) and will be used daily all year round
  • It gets dark at 4:00 pm during winter where we live, and I don’t want to have to charge 4 lights every night. The most important thing for me is long battery life. Ideally, I would only have to charge or replace my batteries once a week (or once a month if possible).
  • Nihola trikes have weird light mounts on top of the fenders. I guess I could drill holes or mount lights with o rings, but some lights might be incompatible
  • My LBS guy wants to install LED lights that run with disposable batteries because he says they have much better battery life than rechargeable lights. Can anyone confirm this?
Thanks for any tips

Last edited by salcedo; 05-29-19 at 01:11 PM.