View Single Post
Old 05-30-19, 11:53 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,465 Times in 1,433 Posts
Fantastic trike!

Since rechargeable lithium-X batteries have come in, I don't think alkaline disposable batteries have an advantage anymore.

Charging many lights can be a pain, not only because of the trouble but also because of the margin for error. One possible solution is to install permanent wiring on the trike and power the lights with an external battery. You can remove the battery and charge it off the trike, and you'll only have to do it once every day or two. Really, you can do it a lot less frequently, depending on its capacity, but I find that if I have a daily habit, it's also a more reliable habit. I charge most of my things every day, even when they don't need it, to be safe. And this does not harm lithium-X batteries!

Another idea is hub dynamo power. A dynamo isn't powerful enough for all of your lights. On my commuter bike, I have a mixture of dynamo and battery powered lights. Tail lights don't need frequent charging, so I power my headlight and one taillight with the dynamo. I power a second taillight and a spoke light with batteries. The battery taillight us USB chargeable, and I only have to charge it once a month. The spoke light uses a coin battery, and I only have to change it every two or three months, as it is not powerful, though it is very effective. A dynamo headlight is ideal for me because it is always on, and the power source is never ever reduced. The light is bolted onto the bike 24 hours a day, and it comes on whenever the bike rolls. The light stays on for a few minutes after I stop rolling.

Headlights and taillights powered by coin cells are too meager. I know others feel different, but I think they are worse than useless because the user thinks they work adequately. This prevents them from using adequate lights.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.