Old 07-12-19, 01:00 PM
Aletifer

Bikes: 2015 Fuji Track, 2017 Fuji Cross 1.5, 2019 Cannondale Quick NEO

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm working on this. It's going to take several steps, but living a nearly car-free existence is in the works. The plan so far:
  1. Get an ebike. (CHECK!) Several reasons for this, but the short version is that I need something that can help me establish a reliable commute when dealing with longer distances, detours, carrying a lot more crap at times, and harsher weather.
  2. Move. (In the works.) My wife and I are in the final stages of fixing up our house in order to sell it and move out. The idea is to be much closer to both our jobs. Not only that, but the road will also be a lot more bike-friendly no matter where we end up. So, this one's on the way.
  3. Get the kiddo starting school. Not much to do about this one other than wait. But once she's enrolled at the salt mines, I'll be good to go for ditching the car.
We'll still have one car between my wife and I, but I plan on driving it as rarely as possible.

For me, the reasons for doing this are both fun and financial. In my humble opinion, riding is just categorically better than driving every time you can swing it, and my word can it save you some serious cash over time. Honestly when I look at the numbers and how we get around, it's very difficult to justify having two cars.