View Single Post
Old 02-17-06, 10:36 PM
dirt biker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just got back from snowmobiling today. The high temp for today was -7 and it was -22 when we started. I understand you won't be riding in these conditions however the ideas should be the same.

I went out wearing 4 laters. you may not need 4 layers but layering is the key to staying warm.

I would suggest wearing a wind breaker or waterproof outer most layer. Something to help deflect the wind which will be your biggest enemy.

In cold weather exposed skin is a real problem. I don't think what brand you wear is as important as how it all fits together. I was warm all over this morning except that my face shield did not fit right under my shirt. My kneck was frozen the entire time. In other words make sure your layers overlap enough to constantly cover your skin in those transition areas (pants/shirt, gloves/sleeves, shirt/faceshield, head cover/faceshield).

If you ride long distances you need to make sure you don't sweat completely through your clothes. A waterproof outer layer will help ensure body sweet does not transfer the cold from the wind directly to your skin. If you wear everything right you may feel like you're swimming but you should be plenty warm.

I think of a wet suit when I dress for extreme cold temperatures. How can you cover the most area and keep body warmth in and air/wetness out. If you wear glasses you'll have another problem of foggy glasses. I would suggest wearing contacts. I actually joined this forum to start a discussion on the best way to stop foggy glasses. With any luck you'll read a post soon about what works and what doesn't.

best of luck and good riding