Old 08-07-09, 08:41 PM
lhbernhardt
Dharma Dog

Bikes: Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The only thing that peeves me on my visits to Montreal (one of the most fun places in Canada) is that whenever I try to speak French, they speak English back to you. Montrealers tend to be quite a bit more arrogant than other Quebecers, sort of the Paris of Quebec. I guess they don't like to listen to bad French, and they want to let you know they can speak English better than you can speak French!

If you don't speak French at all, the best place to visit is the Eastern Townships (the area to the east of Montreal, around Bromont (where the Atlanta Olympics velodrome resides) and Sherbrooke). They're all bilingual, and they speak the most unaccented English in Quebec. They have a big Masters bike race there, le Coupe des Ameriques. Lovely countryside, and it's just north of Vermont, so fabulous in the fall.

If you want to improve your French, tour the countryside. The people are extremely friendly, but you have to make an effort to speak their language. The Gaspe peninsula is highly recommended.

I used to live in the San Francisco Bay Area, but I've lived in Canada now way longer than I've lived in the US. My only accommodation to Canadian bilingualism is that I always sing the Canadian national anthem in French (well, it was written originally in French, and the French words make way more sense!).

L.