Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
Originally Posted by rubiksoval
You don't need to do 100 mile rides. You wouldn't race even half that distance at this point. And average speed matters very little in actual races. Trying to ride a solo 100 miles as fast at you can is very unspecific for the actual racing you'd do. Not that it can't be fun or good general training or a chance to explore or any of a number of other reasons, but for race training it's one of the last things I'd recommend doing or do. I can count on one finger the number of solo 100 mile rides I've done in the last 5 years, and in that same time period I've actually raced a few 100+ mile races.

Far, far, far more important is learning how to ride safely and efficiently in a group. If you want to race, getting plugged in to the faster/harder/better group ride scene is the most important first step (to being successful).

Especially in your locale and at your weight, you're going to have to learn how to be a ghost in the field, meaning you need to learn how to be very good at drafting, moving around in a group, and putting yourself into good positions for the finish.
Plus

Originally Posted by caloso
It’s great, but as rubiksoval said, it’s not particularly relevant to racing. Lurk a bit in the 33, especially in the training thread.
Plus

Originally Posted by burnthesheep
You have an important question to answer for yourself sooner than later. Your decision can make a big difference in how happy you are on your bike.

Do you want to be a license carrying person who enters races, or do you want to do "challenge" "gravel grinder" or "fondo" type rides?

I don't race much at all, but I have had a different experience in dipping the tip of my toes in the pond on the race side versus the "fondo/challenge" side of things.

You can private message, as I'd rather not muddy the waters with my experiences so far with that.

Otherwise, you're doing fine. Do what you enjoy. I would suggest at some point joining a local group ride at some frequency. Even in fondos you need some larger group skills and those rides will help with that confidence.
Equals http://rockcreekvelo.org

Join a local junior team that has volunteer coaches.