Old 06-17-19, 02:54 PM
jade408

Bikes: Working on replacing my stolen Soma Buena Vista Mixte

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 44 Posts
I am early 40s, and at the cusp in terms of childhood experience. We had video games and still played outside in an unstructured way. I also had a computer with internet in my teen years. The internet for me was a way to wreck havoc in chat rooms. No friends to IM till college.

I lived in a classic California suburb as a kid, my neighborhood wasn't too busy. We biked on the sidewalk, in the neighboring culdesac, and of course on our driveways. No street riding, but we had contiguous sidewalks. When I moved as a preteen to South Carolina, we didn't have sidewalks in our subdivision neighborhood. All bike riding was in the street. There wasn't much traffic and most streets had speed bumps. We spent our time biking to the pool, and also biking on the unpaved sections of the neighborhood that hadn't been built-up yet. We played inside and did video games too. The split was essentially at dark or when it was hot we played inside. When it cooled down we played outside. A neighbor had badminton and a trampoline, so that was common play.

Now I live in a denser urban neighborhood - it has a mix of single family homes and 20 unit apartment/condo buildings. There are not a lot of young kids on my street and I live on a busy one. Not sure where kids play, but I see families with toddlers in the nearby parks. And there is a big soccer field that is popular as well in a neighboring town a couple of blocks away. Families with young kids tend to move to the other side of the neighborhood where there are more yards. And I assume play there. I see kids using the school playgrounds in the more single family areas nearby and on the quieter streets. I also see kids on bikes in the commercial areas - with and without parent supervision.