View Single Post
Old 09-16-19, 09:55 PM
tallbikeman

Bikes: Modified 26 inch frame Schwinn Varsity with 700c wheels and 10 speed cassette hub. Ryan Vanguard recumbent. 67cm 27"x1 1/4" Schwinn Sports Tourer from the 1980's. 1980's 68cm Nishiki Sebring with 700c aero wheels, 30 speeds, flat bar bicycle.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 102 Posts
riding more miles

Zjrog it is good to see the effort and the excellent results. It is hard to ride in peloton's because the more fit people can explode not so fit people by out fitnessing them. Here locally there are peloton groups for all fitness levels. Some groups are more aggressive and ride in line with people pulling the front for a certain time or pace then switching out. Others ride more casually and usually slower. The ride groups usually advertise their average speed and whether they stop and regroup along the way. Some don't. Averaging 14mph with a hill in the way is awesome. I much prefer riding alone and do so most of the time. I try to average 10-12mph on my rides which average 10 to 20 miles in length. As a bigger person my calorie use per mile is fairly high at 12mph. Most of those calories are used going through the air. Just plain air resistance. If I recall my air resistance formula I believe the air resistance force squares when the speed doubles. Us big guys are huge wind breaks for all the other guys behind us. When I road raced there was no one that gave me a good break from the wind unless I was further back on the line. All the guys loved following me because they got a good wind break. Hit 248lbs and very close to 247lbs. I'm thinking about dropping allowed calories per day to a lower level than Myfitnesspal recommends. Been going to a Kaiser weight loss/nutrition class. They recommend 1600-1800 calories per day for men. before exercise. That would definitely speed up the weight loss which is about 1 1/2lbs per week now. Keep up the good work.