Old 09-26-19, 05:59 PM
VintageTTfan

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 193 Posts
Originally Posted by riva
If the intent was to pay tribute to that brand and that era, and the job they did was so good that the most educated on the brand and era cannot tell if it is real or not.. then what does that say about the thing we are looking at? That feat is almost more unlikely than the unlikelihood of a thing from 30 years ago which you happen to love, that thing from 30 years ago happens to be available for you to purchase as NOS in 2019.
I will stand on my statement without hesitation that there was NO INTENT to pay tribute to that brand of that era. Keep in mind, I am saying this as a Centurion lover.....Centurion is not viewed as being of the high level or having the big mystique that a Colnago, Masi, De Rosa etc have. Someone might make a fake of those bikes to pay tribute....no one would for a Centurion. I have seen a fake Moser time trial for instance that was made by this guy who admitted it was a fake. Moser has that kind of cache and mystique. Centurion is not a bike snob name. I do not say this to insult Centurions which I have many and love. It is just a fact (except the Centurion Equip made by Cinelli). I do not say all this to offend you...I am just saying what I know from years of research on this frame.

And by the way ...I can tell it is real. As to your point about the almost impossibility of finding something NOS that is 30 years old that you happen to want.....I can think of hundreds of examples of collectors finding just that. It has happened to me many times and it is a known fact in collectors circles that while it is very rare...it does happen. I don't get your argument on that point. I think this frame was abandoned or never sold and thus these were sitting in a factory waiting to be found and sold. Okay that is the end of my friendly tirade (which I do stand by).