TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
Originally Posted by carpediemracing
The past page of comments is why I Zwift almost 100% of the time. I get out to do some rocking-the-bike stuff, which I can't replicate indoors, and to try and remember "how to ride a bike" if you will.

In the last few years a lot of people I know have gotten hit by cars, and I've read a lot more about people getting hit. If a cyclist runs a red and gets hit, or rides at night without lights and gets t-boned, then that's just normal - the rider took a risk and it didn't pay off. I don't fault the driver in those cases. But to be riding along a street and to be punted from behind and killed (happened two turns away from my house, on a road with 6-8 foot wide shoulders, during daytime), or having an oncoming car swerve across the road and hit the rider as the driver steers back onto the road... In another incident someone passed a group at 50+ mph on a hill/curved (group was going over 30 mph on a 30 mph road) and hit 2 of 3 riders and punted them pretty far...

So for me I race crits and Zwift. To me that's the safest combination. No RR (over 45 mph top speed, with riders that typically acknowledge not liking crits due to corner/pack stuff), very little training on outside roads (drivers), and definitely not much training on roads I don't know.
I pretty much need it to be happy. I go to dark places without playing bikes outdoors.