Old 01-05-18, 10:59 AM
Facanh

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Barrettscv
They provide moderate traction on wet pavement, like the Voyager Hypers. Neither are especially good on wet, slick pavement. Most bicycle tires are not. You might consider the Continental 4 season in it's largest size.

See: https://www.bikeforums.net/cyclocros...avel-tire.html
Thanks to the suggestion but I can't go back to 28s, too skinny.

Originally Posted by Metieval
IMO a full on slick is better than knobbys on wet pavement, more surface contact! just saying consider the 700x38 gravelking.

There is also a difference between a soft tire and a durable tire. The Voyagers will be a harder rubber for the durability reason, and the sacrifice will be grip. for the Longest time I ran Michelin dynamic 28c (more like a 31) in winter because they were super cheap and super soft. They would also embed with glass. So they got maybe one season then I tossed them, but at $15 a tire. I didn't care.
Yeah I guess slicks are better on wet roads, although sometimes I ride on dirt roads in the winter too if it's not too muddy. Slicks are not the best on damp dirt.

I think first of all I need to decide how I use my bike. Since I moved to 37s about 3 months ago where I ride and how I ride are changing... I didn't think I would ride in the wet either, but it turns out I do. I considered moving down to 650b for maximum plushness and the ability to run fenders. But I still need to decide if I ride more on the road or offroad. For the winter I might go down to 32s so I can fit fenders in the back.

The Gravelking Slicks are really attractive but i'm a bit afraid about their durability. At 320g weight I doubt there is too much rubber, and sometimes I take my bike even to some slow rocky singletrack. I tend to overthink everything, i'm pretty sure I would be thinking non stop when the tyres are going to explode while riding them on rougher stuff.

Last edited by Facanh; 01-05-18 at 11:08 AM.