Old 05-11-18, 01:16 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
Not exactly. As mentioned by @TimothyH, and a few notes in my previous post #30

There are a couple of different rim and bead standards. Specifically UST (square bead) and BST (Stans round bead).

If one creates spec standards on rim design, and the rims adhere to the specs, and the tire manufacturers make their tires to work with those specs, then there is no longer a huge compatibility issue.

Unfortunately, possibly for patent. trademark, or other reasons, very few manufacturers are adhering to the specs. So, it becomes a free-for-all, and "tubeless ready" may not, in fact, be "tubeless compatible".

While the OP's rims may, in fact, be UST compatible, Compass doesn't specifically list their tires as being UST compatible.
Are BST and UST necessarily compatible with each other? One would hope that these standards are attempting to be backward-compatible with the common BSDs at least.

I'll expect the whole industry to adopt one standard around the same time the country goes to single-payer healthcare.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498