View Single Post
Old 02-04-19, 10:55 AM
Rob_E

Bikes: Downtube 8H, Surly Troll

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 21 Posts
I guess it depends on the extent/duration of the injury. I can bus myself to within a block of my doctor's office, but I still have to get down the driveway to the bus stop and from the bus stop to the doctor. Generally my criteria has been: If I'm not well enough to ride my bike, I'm not well enough to go to work, but that wouldn't be practical for a long period of time. I have injured my leg in such a way that it hurt to walk on it, but felt fine to ride. The trick was figuring out how to carry a cane on my bike.

I imagine there are services to help, too. Largely depends on the extent to which you are not mobile.

But it's hard for me to say, "This is the point where you get a car." 1) It really depends on how long you expect to be off your feet. 2) It's not a practical solution for everyone. Some of the people I see riding the bus who have mobility issues appear to be at or near an age when they probably shouldn't be driving. Some have vision issues, too, where they can't legally drive. So I'm assuming there are services that help those people get around.