Old 03-20-19, 01:14 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10955 Post(s)
Liked 7,484 Times in 4,186 Posts
Originally Posted by sofakng
My son is currently using a 16" Specialized Hotrock but needs a larger bicycle. He's about 49.5" tall and our local bicycle shop recommends a 20" instead of 24" and I think I agree because I don't want the bicycle too big for him to be comfortable.

However, our local bicycle shop no longer sells Specialized but instead sells Jamis and Raleigh. They suggested the Raleigh MXR 20 (MSRP $189.99 but they are asking $239.99?!) and the Jamis Laser 20 (MSRP $249.99 asking $229.99).

Does anybody have an opinion on either of these bikes?

There is also a Trek dealer about 30 minutes away so I would consider them but they aren't as close as the Raleigh/Jamis dealer.

(I also see the Raleigh Rowdy 20" for MSRP $249.99 but my dealer never mentioned it and I'm not too thrilled with the color but it's OK I guess)
My youngest is about 8.5yo and we are building up a 24" hotrock for her right now. She has been using a 20" bike for the last couple years and could stay with it for another few months, but she is adamant on the bigger bike, even though she is the same height as your son. Itll be bigger than ideal for this spring and summer, but hopefully itll fit properly come the fall.
Anyways- point is that your kid will probably get a season out of the 20" before he can comfortably and confidently fit a 24". Perhaps keep that in mind when it comes to quality, price, etc.

Why the Raleigh cots more than MSRP is beyond me. Its $144.99 on their corporate discount site https://www.raleighusa.com/kids/4-9-years-old

Both the Raleigh and Jamis are overbuilt BMX bikes. Perfectly fine and suitable. Neither will wear out before your son is ready for larger bike.

Our 20" bike is a 7 speed and its good for helping our daughter go faster when possible and climbing easier(less complaining) when needed, but it is super difficult for little hands to change the grip shft. Even after 7 years of use(2 kids) its still difficult to twist. Just an FYI to keep in mind for if you do decide to go with gears. Some of the grip shifts are easy to twist and others are brutal.