View Single Post
Old 04-29-19, 05:20 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,295 Times in 865 Posts
Originally Posted by Renato GF Naso
Hi!! Yes, I wouldn't mind discs, but only with four-fingers cross-style brake-levers, to keep the weight at the back! (It's a matter of weight-distribution!!)
You're so right about this, I really can't believe that the industry has yet to offer some sort of auxiliary brake levers for the so-popular gravel bikes. The several-inch reduction of reach to the bars when descending steeper sections off road is just huge in terms of what you can and can't do safely.

They can either add a pivoted lever to the sides of the existing levers, or develop a simple check-valve equipped auxiliary master cylinder for each brake line, but they really should have had this sorted out a good couple of years ago imo.

I just got my first gravel wheelset, tubeless tires on wide rims woo-hoo! But I got a deal on the rim-braked version and used an older 'cross bike having auxiliary levers with canti-brakes that was ridiculously affordable on the used market (big thanks here to all of the "disc-is-always-better" marketing).
No regrets I can tell you, the aux levers are worth their weight in gold.

Last edited by dddd; 04-29-19 at 05:26 PM.